I like to read academic papers on database systems but I usually don't have time to do more than browse. If only there were a geek code for this. Part of the geek code would explain the performance vs efficiency tradeoff. While it helps to know that something new is faster, I want to know the cost of faster. Does it require more storage (tiered vs leveled compaction)? Does it hurt SSD endurance (update-in-place vs write-optimized)? Read, write, space and cache amplification are a framework for explaining the tradeoffs.
The next part of the geek code is to group algorithms into one of page-based, LSM, index+log or something else. I suspect that few will go into the something else group. These groups can be used for both tree-based and hash-based algorithms, so I am redefining LSM to mean log structured merge rather than log structured merge tree.
Monday, May 14, 2018
Saturday, May 5, 2018
Where to ask questions about MyRocks and RocksDB
Best places to discuss MyRocks:
- percona-discussion - if using MyRocks in Percona Server and report bugs here
- maria-discuss - if using MyRocks in MariaDB Server and report bugs here
Other places to discuss MyRocks:
- MyRocks group for FB MySQL - this existed before MyRocks made it into Percona and MariaDB. You are better off using the MariaDB and Percona groups.
- Bugs for MyRocks in FB MySQL are here. Again, if using Percona or MariaDB please use their forums for bugs.
- discuss RocksDB on the email list
- discuss RocksDB on the Facebook group
- report RocksDB bugs here
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)