Trying out a dedicated server from Hetzner

I am trying out a dedicated server from Hetzner for my performance work. I am trying the ax162-s that has 48 cores (96 vCPU), 128G of RAM and ~4TB of NVMe storage (2 devices, RAID 1).

The reasons to try it are:

  • A similar server on GCP or AWS will cost ~10X more assuming list prices. The difference on GCP drops to ~5X if I commit to 3 years of usage.
  • It has access to hardware counters (PMC) which I need as part of my debugging workflow. The docs for GCP and AWS servers on HW counters barely exist. But maybe GCP and AWS don't want you to improve efficiency given the markups they have on their hardware. 
    • AFAIK with AWS you need a dedicated server (*metal) which means you will be buying something large (and expensive). 
    • With GCP you need to get a C4 machine type, you will only get a subset of the HW counters, and I was unable to get a quota increase for C4 this weekend so the largest server I could get had 16 cores.

So far I am impressed by both the cost and the user experience. I expect to rent a second server soon and stop spending too much money on GCP.

Create account and purchase

Prior to my purchase there was an account verification step. I started this on Monday and that was resolved by the next day. Once verified it took less than 10 minutes for my server to be ready which matched the estimate on the purchase page.

Everything (OS, home directory, directories I will use for the database) are all on the RAID 1 storage setup. While I try to use a separate device for the database on GCP and my home servers, I think that adding storage devices to my setup would have meant waiting a few days for them to configure it.

When making the purchase I had a choice of operating systems (I chose Ubuntu 22.04). There was also a choice for password or ssh logins. When you choose ssh there is a text box for a public key. I chose ssh. 

The specs are:

  • AMD EPYC 9454P 48-Core Processor with SMT enabled
  • 2 Intel D7-P5520 NVMe storage devices with RAID 1 (3.8T each) using ext4 and ext3
  • 128G RAM (for the same prices I can get 256G but half the storage) 
  • Ubuntu 22.04 running the non-HWE kernel (5.5.0-118-generic)

Setup

The first thing to do is add a non-root user because Postgres doesn't run as root. I added a user without a password, then added it to the sudo group and finally setup ssh for it.

adduser --disabled-password --shell /bin/bash --gecos "mark" $username
adduser $username sudo
run "visudo" and add -> $username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Output from /proc/cpuinfo is here. I see there are 96 CPUs reported so I need to disable AMD SMT because it (and Intel Hyperthreads) are frequently a problem for benchmarks. I added this to /etc/default/grub to disable SMT which didn't work:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nosmt"

Adding it to the existing usage of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX did work:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="consoleblank=0 systemd.show_status=true nosmt"

From df -h I see that the partition for / has 2T available and I will use that for the database directories.

# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs            13G   26M   13G   1% /run
/dev/md2        2.0T  3.2G  1.9T   1% /
tmpfs            63G     0   63G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/md1        989M  257M  682M  28% /boot
/dev/nvme1n1p1  256M  316K  256M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/md3        1.5T   28K  1.5T   1% /home
tmpfs            13G  4.0K   13G   1% /run/user/0

From mdadm I see that the RAID 1 device is still resyncing so I will wait for that to finish before running benchmarks. A few hours after my purchase the resync is ~80% complete. Output from sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md2 is here.

Output from smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1p4 is here which is how I figured out the brand of NVMe device.

Setup: CPU frequency governor

I have written about CPU frequency governors and modern Linux -- see here. Per Ubuntu, this server uses the schedutil frequency governor by default:

$ cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
  hardware limits: 1.50 GHz - 3.81 GHz
  available frequency steps:  2.75 GHz, 2.10 GHz, 1.50 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
  current policy: frequency should be within 1.50 GHz and 2.75 GHz.
                  The governor "schedutil" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 3.78 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: no

So I run these commands:

cpupower frequency-set --governor performance
cpupower frequency-set -u 2.75GHz
cpupower frequency-set -d 1.5GHz

And now I see:

analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
  hardware limits: 1.50 GHz - 3.81 GHz
  available frequency steps:  2.75 GHz, 2.10 GHz, 1.50 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
  current policy: frequency should be within 1.50 GHz and 2.75 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 1.80 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: no

Future setup

Eventually I will purchase their storage service so I can archive things I want to preserve for a long time including results and builds of MySQL and Postgres.

Comments

  1. The kernel default RAID rebuild speed limit is 200MB/sec; much too slow for modern NVME; add a few zeros and move on.
    sudo sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_max=2000000

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice. Fortunately I could see how fast, or slow, it was running via iostat and I found things to do while running -- building many versions of Postgres, MariaDB and MySQL.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing bug 109595 makes MySQL almost 4X faster on the Insert Benchmark

Postgres versions 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 vs sysbench with a medium server

Postgres vs MySQL: the impact of CPU overhead on performance